sunnuntai 29. tammikuuta 2012

Glory of volunteer fire fighting!

My hobby is volunteer fire fighting and I’ve been keen to it now for almost 7 years, and I enjoy it with all of my heart. I’m really dedicated to my hobby and in my thoughts it’s one of the noblest hobbies I know, correct me if I’m wrong!
Fire fighting has always been my interest because when I was 5 years old, I already wanted to be a fire fighter. But when I tried to start my hobby, I was told that you must be at least ten years old to start fire fighting the required age for volunteer fire fighting is ten. When I started volunteer fire fighting I was introduced to all the new rules that are involved in this new hobby (professional secrecy about all fire alarms and rescue operations I heard at the fire house.) Trainers found me considerably “better” than others who trained with me and asked me to join the junior competition team and I obviously couldn’t refuse! We trained 3 times per week for junior competitions and Finnish junior championships. That time we came 9th. Two years ago our (newer) youth team came 5th and I was the team leader.
For now I’ve been training with the alarm department and it’s close to how professional fire fighters are training! I’m waiting to get to extinguish my first fire! I’m keen in fire fighting and the other volunteers are like brothers to me. I’m not going to try and recruit you to be volunteer fire fighter but like an advertisement for common good, from my point of view:    
I hope that teens would be more into fire fighting because more than 60% of Finnish fire departments and fire fighters are purely voluntary and in whole of Finland average garrison/department is dropping so we need new fire fighters ASAP! You'll learn lots of important skills like extinguishing small fires and some first-aid! Of course you’ll get bunch on new great friends, your social skills will grow when you co-operate with other fire man and other authorities! (And of course chicks)


That’s all for now PK37 out.


                                                   ©Piikkiö's VFD

2 kommenttia:

  1. First of all, CHECK THE TYPOS!!!! i found loads of them. Wouldn't you prefer to say voluntary fire brigade/department. That way how you say sounds a bit... strange. On the whole, good story!

    VastaaPoista
  2. I do admire you for being a volunteer! What would we do in an emergency without you guys?! I never knew that you even compete in fire fighting - interesting!
    (And thank you Juuso for takind on the teacher's role but how about doing it a little bit more gently?)

    VastaaPoista